Outdoor hose bibbs (spigots), can be damaged by freezing temperatures. A hose bibb that freezes and breaks can be expensive to replace, especially if the exterior of the house is brick.
To protect hose bibs from freezing:
- Step 1 – Turning off the Valve.
- The first step is to find the cut-off valve in your home. Simply follow the pipes from the tap outside to find the valve, and then shut it off completely to cut your water off. Make sure the valve is tightened and completely shut off, or water can still enter the external hose bib.
- Step 2 – Removing the Hose.
- Next, remove the hose from the spigot to make sure it’s empty of any water. Tip the water out of the small section of the pipe until it’s completely gone. Then, store the hose inside your garage or a shed.
- Step 3 – Draining the Hose Bib.
- Although you have shut off the valve inside your home, there will be some water already in the pipes. It’s important to get rid of all of this water, so that there is no chance of it freezing and causing any damage. To get rid of the water, turn the tap on and let the water run out and down the drain. If you notice that your bib is faulty, replace it before continuing.
Draining Bleeding Valves
Then, go back inside and take a look at your shut-off valve. Most valves are “bleeding valves,” which you can use to remove even more water. Remove the small bleeding cap, and place a small bowl under it to catch any leftover water
- Step 4 – Leaving the Valve Open.
- Finally, leave your tap open, and put the bung back in the bleeding valve. Completing this step ensure that, if any water enters the faucet, it will run out and not freeze.
- Leave your hose bib this way during the winter. When you want to use the hose again in the summer, switch the shut-off valve on, and let the water run through. If you want to make sure your hose bib never freezes, install a different kind of bib, like a frost-free bib.
Do you need a hose bibb cover or have any questions please contact us, WesTech Plumbing, directly at 806-866-2382 or Request Service online.